So, as we wave goodbye to 2022 and welcome the new year, it’s about time we did a little bit of remembrance. For all of its highs and lows, one thing that you cannot dispute; there was a tremendous amount of good games that (eventually) came out last year.
From the heavy-hitters like Elden Ring, God of War: Ragnarök, and Stray, to the indie-darlings, like Cult of the Lamb, Beacon Pines, and, err, Stray, there was plenty to keep us going.
And, as is tradition (and a cliché at this point), we here at ABG have made ourselves a comprehensive list of the top games that we played this year. At the start of December, I asked each of our Editors to make a list of their top five games that they would consider the best of the best of this year’s gaming.
The usual suspects were picked, and, though I probably don’t need to tell you what won as you can probably guess, there were some…interesting picks. So, without further ado, let’s do further.
The “rules” implemented for our judication were as follows;
- The game must have been released in 2022. Remasters and/or remakes count, as long as that release came in 2022
- the order our Editors put their choices into the list was directly indicative of how they ranked those choices – for example, if (for example), Darren put Marvel’s Midnight Sons in the first box, then he would consider that to be the Game of the Year
- Each position held a specific number of tally points – 1st place earned five points, 2nd place earned four, etc
- The game with the highest tally count at the end would be declared ABG‘s GOTY 2022
And now, the nominees;
- A Plague Tale: Requiem (Focus Entertainment/Asobo Studio)
- Beacon Pines (Fellow Traveller/Hiding Spot)
- Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (Activision/Infinity Ward)
- The Callisto Protocol (Krafton/Striking Distance Studios)
- Citizen Sleeper (Fellow Traveller/Jump Over the Age)
- Cult of the Lamb (Devolver Digital/Massive Monster)
- The Dark Pictures Anthology: The Devil in Me (Bandai Namco/Supermassive Games)
- Deathloop (Xbox Series X) (Bethesda Softworks/Arkane Lyon)
- Elden Ring (Bandai Namco/FromSoftware)
- Evil Dead: The Game (Saber Interactive)
- Evil West (Focus Entertainment/Flying Wild Hogs)
- God of War: Ragnarök (Sony Interactive Entertainment/Sony Santa Monica)
- High on Life (Squanch Games)
- Horizon: Forbidden West (Sony Interactive Entertainment/Guerrilla Studios)
- Lord Winklebottom Investigates (Cave Monsters/Wings)
- Papers, Please (iOS, Android) (Lucas Pope/3909 LLC)
- The Quarry (2K/Supermassive Games)
- Sifu (Sloclap)
- Sniper Elite 5 (Rebellion Developments)
- Stray (Annapurna Interactive/BlueTwelve Studio)
- Teardown (Tuxedo Labs)
- Tinykin (tinyBuild/Splashteam)
- Tiny Tina’s Wonderlands (2K/Gearbox Software)
- Tunic (Finji/Andrew Shouldice)
And now, the ABG Game of the Year 2022 is…
With a staggering 34 points accumulated to it by our Editors, Elden Ring has won the biggest award in Gaming; a .JPEG of our fictitious award that I put together on GIMP. In second place was God of War: Ragnarök with 15 points, and my personal GOTY, Stray ended up in third place with 13 points.
What do you think about the outcome? Were there any games not listed here that you thought to at least be in the conversation? As always, please leave your thoughts and opinions in the comments section down below.
I would personally like to thank each and every member of the ABG team for contributing to this ceremony. As the team and long-time visitors to the website will know, 2022 was a rough year for ABG. However, we do have some awesome news that we will share with you all in due time.
To each and every one of you who has visited our website, watched a video on our YouTube channel, caught one of our Twitch live streams, or joined our Discord channel this year, from the bottom of our hearts, we want to thank you. Thank you for being with us and supporting us.
Thank you, again, and from our family to yours, have a happy, healthy, and prosperous 2023!
Make sure you stick with Any Button Gaming for the latest gaming news, reviews, and features.
Fancy being social? We’re on Facebook and Twitter. Be sure to check out our YouTube channel for regular gameplay videos, news round-ups, and live streams. Or, for more live streams, catch us on Twitch. And to chat with us and become part of the ABG community, join our Discord channel.
Finally, if you want to show your allegiance to ABG, you’ll be happy to know we have our own merch! All proceeds go to help fund the site!
ABG’s Senior Editor (News), YouTube content creator/streamer.