A job advert posted by Sony has fuelled speculation that some PlayStation exclusive franchises will be making their way to mobile devices.
The advert titled “Head of Mobile, PlayStation Studios”, specifically mentions:
Do you want to lead the development and strategy of mobile gaming and help shape the future of gaming for a world-class studio? As Head of Mobile, you will own and develop the mobile games strategy for PlayStation Studios and help build a foundation for future growth opportunities. You will lead all aspects of the expansion of our game development from consoles and PCs to mobile & Live Services with a focus on successfully adapting PlayStation’s most popular franchises for mobile. You will be responsible for building and scaling a team of mobile leaders and will serve as the Head of this new business unit within PlayStation Studios.Head of Mobile, PlayStation Studios
at Sony Interactive Entertainment PlayStation
This advert could occlude to many PlayStation franchises such as God of War, The Last of Us and Ratchet and Clank among others being candidates for mobile titles. Dare we even think about a Bloodborne entry on mobile?
The advert has some specific requirements and major areas of responsibility, see the full list below.
Major Areas of Responsibilities:
- As the business unit leader, you will promote the vision, mission, strategy for mobile game development within PlayStation Studios and be responsible for driving the business unit commercial success and profitability.
- Build and execute against a mobile 3-5yr business plan, outlining growth targets, resources needs & KPI’s
- Partner with PlayStation Studios Leadership Team to develop mobile product roadmap for a 3-5-year time frame.
- Build and scale multiple game teams and product leaders to deliver against future title plans.
- Partner with the Corporate Development Team to drive M&A strategy in-line with long range plans.
- Manage existing mobile slate already in development while delivering against revenue and profitability goals.
- Build out capabilities in mobile live operations in partnership with technology, operations, studio, analytics, and customer service teams.
- Partner with central publishing teams to develop capabilities in-line with new mobile games commercial strategy.
- Highly experienced executive with a history of strategy development & leadership
- Experience in building, growing, and running mobile operations
- Experience in translating IP into game property, console, or mobile
- Over 15 years of experience in a business function [Strategy, Product, Brand]
- Experience in the gaming or entertainment industry preferred
- MBA preferred
This comes following recent news that Sony is focusing all its efforts on developing bigger titles and somewhat marginalising some smaller studios.
With reports also stating a remake of the excellent The Last of Us is in development for the PS5, but unfortunately the pitch for a Days Gone sequel was rejected by Sony, much to the disappointment of certain ABG editors.
With ABG’s very own Darren Colley writing an excellent piece about Days Gone being an overlooked new franchise.
This change of strategy has had something of a staffing effect with Sony staff causing several to leave the company completely.
Be sure to stick with Any Button Gaming and our partners at Stush Gaming for the latest gaming news, reviews, and features from around the world.
And if you wanna show your allegiance to ABG, you’ll be happy to know we have our own merch! All proceeds go to helping fund the site.
Don’t forget to drop us a comment down below.
Human, friend to the animals and serial procrastinator.
Pessimistic Pompey fan and chocolate addict.
@Zeus_Eagle on Twitter