Indie studio Retro Forge, working in partnership with publisher Dear Villagers (The Forgotten City, ScourgeBringer) has released a demo of its upcoming 16-bit inspired action-RPG metroidvania adventure Souldiers as part of Steam Next Fest.
Today through March 1st players can embark upon more than an hour of gameplay from Souldiers months ahead of its release this spring.
Metroidvania, Souls, RPG-ness in Terragaya
Souldiers wraps metroidvania exploration, crunchy soulslike combat, RPG customization,and precision platforming into one gorgeous pixel art package. Players take on the role of either scout, caster or archer, battling for freedom in Terragaya, a mystical land on the border between life and death.
Each class has its own unique attacks along with different agility, attack, defense, and health stats. Your character can further be customized through branches of unlockable skill trees, offering a huge degree of freedom as you venture through Souldier’s fantastical realm.
Outwit cunning enemies, solve nefarious puzzles, upgrade your character, and explore every corner of a dazzling, intricate 16-bit world. Souldiers is a handcrafted retro epic for the ages.
A good size 90 minute demo
This demo offers players roughly 90 minutes of Souldiers’ opening, allowing them to get acquainted with the game’s three classes, combat system, and opening stages.
Of course this is just a taste of the full game, which is significantly deeper, offering more levels, enemies, bosses, and upgrades. We hope this whets people’s appetites for now ahead of Souldiers’ launch later this spring.Alberto Hernández, creative director at Retro Forge
- Choose your class: Unleash the fury of your sword with the scout, summon the wrath of elements with the caster, or rain down arrows on your foes with the archer.
- Gripping combat: Slash, parry and dodge your way through an ever evolving roster of enemies, upgrading your skills and equipment to find a combat style that’s perfect for you.
- An interconnected world: Discover a sprawling handcrafted landscape filled with treasures, tough-as-nails bosses and secrepathways.
- 16-bit sensation: Terragaya comes to life with vibrant world-class pixel art packed to the brim with details.
- Smart moves: Solve environmental puzzles and leap from place to place using an ever-expanding moveset.
Be sure to stick with Any Button Gaming and our partners at Stush Gaming for the latest gaming news, reviews, and features from around the world.
And if you wanna show your allegiance to ABG, you’ll be happy to know we have our own merch! All proceeds go to helping fund the site.
Don’t forget to drop us a comment down below.
Human, friend to the animals and serial procrastinator.
Pessimistic Pompey fan and chocolate addict.
@Zeus_Eagle on Twitter