Niantic is preparing Pokémon GO players for the new year with a brand new experience! Coming in 2020, players will be able to explore the world with their favourite Buddy Pokémon! The new “Buddy Adventure” feature will see your chosen pocket monster travel alongside you in your various Pokémon GO adventures.
The new feature is far more than a novelty visual effect though. Niantic is saying that Buddy Adventure is also an elevated bonding experience. Much in the same way that we can walk with a chosen Pokémon and earn candies based on distance. However, Buddy Adventure will allow you to do more with your Pokémon as well.
You’ll be able to play along with your Buddy, feed them treats, battle alongside them, and generally explore the world together. Currently, if you swap out a Buddy Pokémon, their progress would be reset. This appears to be nixed in the Buddy Adventure update.
Niantic has detailed how the first step in the new adventure is to feed your Buddy berries. By doing so, you’ll increase your “Buddy Level” to “Good Buddy” status. This will then allow you to see your partner Pokémon on the game’s map. From there, you can interact with them in a whole new way.
Hey There, Buddy!
Much like with the current Friends’ system, the Buddy system will feature different levels of closeness to your Pokémon partner. Each new level will increase the perks your buddy Pokémon provides you in-game. The Buddy tier system and the benefits for each level are as follows;
- Good Buddy: Your buddy can join you on your map view! You’ll also see how your buddy feels on the buddy profile page.
- Great Buddy: Having a hard time catching a Pokémon? Your buddy may help you out in Pokémon encounters! It can also bring you items that can help you in your Pokémon GO journey.
- Ultra Buddy: Your buddy will help you explore the world around you by letting you know about interesting places nearby! Your buddy will also bring you Souvenirs, which you can keep track of on the buddy profile page.
- Best Buddy: Become Best Buddies, and your buddy will sport a Best Buddy Ribbon to show off to everyone just how close you two are! Pokémon that you’re Best Buddies with can get a CP boost in combat as long as they’re still assigned as your Buddy Pokémon.
As you can see, there are quite a lot of benefits to the new set-up!
All You Need is Love
You are able to help raise your Buddy level through gaining their affection. By exploring the map, battling alongside your buddy, playing with them, feeding them, and taking a snapshot of your chosen Pokémon, you can earn more hearts (the affection’s measurement). The more hearts and affection you earn, the better your Buddy’s mood will be.
This isn’t just a nonsense little gimmick either. The higher your Pokémon’s mood (with excited being the highest and best), you also unlock different perks.
At Excited mood level;
- The distance takes for your buddy to find Candy will be cut in half.
- The number of hearts earned per action will double.
- Trainers can earn bonus hearts!
Niantic is also promising further interaction opportunities after Buddy Adventure is successfully rolled-out. You’ll soon be able to meet other Trainer’s Buddy Pokémon in a Shared AR Experience mode.
This new experience will allow you to sync up with up to two other Trainers with AR+ and take a group shot with your Buddies together.
For more information on the Pokémon GO Buddy Adventure, check out Niantic’s Pokémon GO blog. There’s no confirmed release window for the roll-out yet, bar it being “next year”. However, we’ll be sure to keep you posted when we know more.
As always, make sure you stick with Any Button Gaming for the latest gaming news and features from around the world. And, to hear more of our latest updates, why not follow us on social media? We’re on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.