So yet another monthly Overwatch update has gone live and is bringing more tweaks and changes to keep its game-play fresh. Blizzard have consistently listened to player feedback and strive to make Overwatch’s reign as the worlds favourite shooter a long one. One of Overwatch’s dev’s left a message for fans on the patch notes highlighting some of the changes.
We wanted to share a little bit about the big changes coming to everyone’s favorite weapons designer in this patch. So, we’ve gone and completely reforged Torbjörn with the aim of improving his playstyle and making him more adaptable to the needs of his team.
When we redesign a hero, we define the gameplay problems we’re aiming to solve, how our solutions can fit within the hero’s constraints, and what existing elements are core to the hero’s identity that we should definitely keep as part of their kit. In Torbjörn’s case, we identified his automated turret as one of those key elements. First, instead of having to stand next to a turret to build it, Torbjörn can now throw the turret out, so he can more effectively contest points and set up flanks on the fly. We’ve also given him a self-buff, Overload, which grants Torbjörn 150 armor and a 30% increase to his attack, movement, and reload speeds, so he can spend less time building and more time shooting. Last but certainly not least, we’ve given his ultimate ability Molten Core a complete overhaul.
We explored eight different iterations of Molten Core before we landed on the current design and moved it onto the next stage of production—giving it proper art, animations, and visual effects. The new Molten Core almost didn’t make it due to technical performance concerns, but fortunately, our artists and engineers came up with some clever solutions.
Molten Core now allows Torbjörn to spray pools of magma on the ground that do a ton of sustained damage (plus bonus damage to armor), but its true strength is denying the enemy team the ability to move through key locations or closing out a game in overtime by restricting the space around the objective.
Be sure to try out the new Torbjörn and the other updated heroes this patch and let us know what you think!”
—Joshua Noh, Associate Game Designer
So here are some of the latest patch notes:
- Fixed a bug that caused the game to crash
- Fixed a bug that caused Pharah’s neck to distort in her Medal victory pose
- Fixed a bug that prevented Eichenwalde or Hollywood from appearing in the Mystery Heroes map rotation
- Fixed a bug that caused players to become immobile after their UI lost focus when entering a match
- Updated the audio mix to add more clarity and dynamic range for all sounds in the game
- A slider to change Player Outline Strength has been added under Options > Gameplay
- Reduced the setup timer for Assault, Escort, and Assault/Escort maps from 1 minute to 45 seconds
- Assemble Your Team timer increased from 10 to 25 seconds in the second round on Assault, Assault/Escort, and Escort maps
- Shield health reduced from 600 to 500
- Damage falloff now starts at 15 meters
- Cooldown reduced from 8 to 6 seconds
- Cooldown reduced from 12 to 9 seconds
- Attack speed increased
- Lowered recovery time between shots from 0.9 to 0.75 seconds
- Damage redistributed between explosion and impact
- Explosion damage reduced from 80 to 65
- Impact damage increased from 40 to 55
- Explosion knock back reduced by 20%
- Self-knockback amount increased by 25%
- Updated visual effects for all abilities
- Maximum spread reduced by 20%
HEAVY PULSE RIFLE
- Number of shots until reaching maximum spread increased from 6 to 9
- Reduced the size of Torbjörn’s head hit volume by 10%
- Primary Fire
- Projectile speed increased from 60 to 70 per second
- Reload time reduced from 2.2 to 2 seconds
- Turret targets enemy hit by primary fire
- Alternate Fire
- Recovery lowered from 0.8 to 0.6 seconds
- Damage per shot lowered from 150 to 125
- Reload time reduced from 2.2 to 2 seconds
- Spread randomization readjusted
- Radius increased to align with Quick Melee
- Turret is now a thrown projectile
- Automatically builds over three seconds
- No longer has different levels
- Same damage output as previous level 2 turret
- Maximum health reduced from 300 to 250
- Now incurs a 5 second cooldown when deployed
- Now incurs a 10 second cooldown when destroyed in combat
- No longer able to deploy a new turret if it’s in combat
- While the turret is firing
- If the turret has taken damage within three seconds
- Can now be destroyed using the Interact input
- Completes self-building once deployed, even if Torbjörn is eliminated
NEW ABILITY: OVERLOAD
- Replaces Armor Pack
- Lasts for 5 seconds
- Cooldown is 12 seconds
- Temporarily grants 150 armor
- Increases attack, movement, and reload speeds by 30%
NEW ULTIMATE: MOLTEN CORE
- Switches weapon from Rivet Gun to his claw arm
- Lasts 6 seconds
- Fire up to 10 molten globules that create damage pools where they land for 10 seconds
- Globules bounce off walls and ceilings until they hit the ground
- Base damage is 130
- Damage increases from 130 to 190 against enemies who have armor
- Heroes affected by armor: Bastion, Brigitte, D.Va, Orisa, Reinhardt, Torbjörn, Winston, Wrecking Ball
- Heroes who can grant armor to their allies: Brigitte
Please note that Torbjörn will be unavailable in Competitive Play for two weeks.
Has your hero been nerfed or have you experienced any issues after the update? Let us know in the comments.
If you like this why not check out our hands on with Detective RPG Disco Elysium.
As always, don’t forget to like and join our Facebook Page/Group, and follow us on Twitter to stay up to date with all of the latest News, Blogs, and more. And if that’s not enough, why not follow us on Twitch or Instagram as well.