The latest Legendary Pokémon to make their way to Pokémon GO is none other than Genesect.
Known as the “Paleozoic Pokémon”, Genesect is notable as being one of only a handful of ‘man-made’ Pokémon present in the series’ universe. Furthermore, Genesect possesses a large cannon on its back that, when a different “Drive” is placed into it, will fire different Typed-blasts.
Genesect’s debut will be marked by the “A Drive to Investigate!” Special Research story event. However, to gain access to this event, players will need to purchase a special entrance ticket.
Niantic state that the ticket costs US$7.99 (or equivalent in local currency). Purchasing a ticket will gain you access to a lot of content, including:
- Normal-, Fire-, Water-, Electric-, and Ice-type Pokémon will be appearing more often in the wild. You might see Pokémon such as Jigglypuff, Magnemite, Marill, Houndour, and Snorunt appearing more frequently in the wild.
- Nincada will be appearing in the wild and hatching from 5 km Eggs. If you’re lucky, you might encounter or hatch a Shiny one!
- Karrablast and Shelmet will be hatching more often from 5 km Eggs.
- One-star to four-star Raid Battles will feature various Bug- or Steel-type Pokémon.
- 2× Catch Stardust*
- 2× Hatch Stardust*
*Special Event bonuses.
These features will take place between Friday 20th March at 8.00 AM until Monday 23rd March 10 PM local time (Coronavirus impact permitted)
“A Drive to Investigate!” Special Research Story Event
“Professor Willow has found a peculiar trail of damage that appears to have been created by a single Pokémon. The kicker? The damage seems to have been caused by attacks of a wide variety of types! Help him discover which Pokémon is behind them in this brand-new Special Research story event! This event doesn’t have a set location—if you have a ticket, you can take part wherever you can play Pokémon GO”.Niantic
Again, to gain access to this special event, players will need to purchase a ticket. Doing so gains you access to the above Special Research story event, as well as the following:
- A new Special Research line featuring an early-access encounter with a Genesect—this is Genesect’s first appearance in Pokémon GO!
- “A Drive to Investigate” medal
- Research objectives that lead to encounters with various Bug- and Steel-type Pokémon, including Pinsir, Scizor, Skarmory, Karrablast, and Shelmet, as well as other Pokémon that appear in the story or are related to Genesect
- Research objectives that lead to an encounter with Durant, which is typically available only in the eastern hemisphere
- Exclusive Genesect-themed avatar items, such as a bag and a cap
- 5 Premium Battle Passes, 3x Super Incubators, 3x Charged TMs, 3x Fast TMs, 3x Incense, 3x Star Pieces, 1x Poffin, 15x Rare Candies, and 1x Glacial Lure
- Encounters with Scyther, Skarmory, Nincada, and Shieldon after completing exclusive Field Research tasks
These features will take place between Friday 20th March at 8.00 AM until Monday 23rd March 10 PM local time. (Coronavirus impact permitted)
Here’s How to Purchase One of Those Aforementioned Tickets
So, if you’ve read all of that and want in, you’ll need to buy a ticket. The ticket will grant you access to the Special Genesect weekend and the “A Drive to Investigate” story (and all the bonuses they bring). Remember though, the ticket will cost you (the equivalent of) US$7.99.
To buy a ticket:
- Open the Pokémon GO app and sign in
- Open up the “Shop”
- Tap the “Learn More” button within the shop.
- Tap the “Buy” button.
- You’ll then receive a pop-up indicating that you’ve received a ticket for “A Drive to Investigate”. After you tap “OK”, you can find the ticket in your Item Bag.
- Before the event, you’ll receive a medal. When you open the app during the event, you’ll receive access to the “A Drive to Investigate” Special Research.
- Once you receive the Special Research on 20th March 2020, you’ll be able to finish it later if you don’t complete it by the end of the event.
Niantic is also acutely aware that not everybody will pay for this event. Because they don’t want you to miss out, they’ve also said that Genesect will be headed to Special EX Raids in April.
Make sure you stick with Any Button Gaming for the latest gaming news, reviews, and features from around the world. To hear more of our latest updates, be sure to follow us on social media. We’re on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram. Don’t forget to drop us a comment down below, and have a nice day!