Here at ABG, we have a strong appreciation for the cinematically oriented. We enjoy a good movie, TV series, and anything of that ilk. As such, we wanted to take a few moments to shine a light on the element’s contribution to driving the hype-machine that is gaming as we know it.
Be it adrenaline-pumping songs, bass-kicking effects, phenomenal writing, epic cinematography, or incredible visuals, there’s more than a few aspects that make up a “good” trailer. Now, we’re no film experts, but we do know what gets us excited.
Needless to say, trailers are often far from representative of the true product. However, despite that, we’ve penned together a catalogue of, what we consider, some of the greatest trailers ever made. Grab some popcorn and a large drink and let’s relive some hype.
There is little-to-no organizational priority outside grouping by developer/publisher. This list is in no particular order.
- Halo 3: ODST (Live-Action)
- Halo 3 Announcement
- “Believe” trailer – Halo 3
- “Madworld” trailer – Gears of War, Xbox 360
- Modern Warfare 2
- Modern Warfare 2019
- Starcraft II Announcement
- “Heart of the Swarm” trailer – Starcraft II
- World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King
- Overwatch Reveal
- “Become Legend” trailer (Bungie) – Destiny
- Battlefield 1
- “Deceived” trailer – Star Wars: The Old Republic
- “Knights of the Fallen Empire” expansion trailer – Star Wars: The Old Republic
- Mass Effect 2 Launch trailer
- “Take Earth Back” trailer – Mass Effect 3
- Cyberpunk 2077 Premier
- “Killing Monsters” trailer – The Witcher 3
- Batman: Arkham Origins
- Batman: Arkham Knight
- Just Cause 3
- Deus Ex: Human Revolution
- Borderlands 3 Reveal trailer
- Grand Theft Auto V Announcement
- Red Dead Redemption 2 – Official Trailer #3
- Bioshock Launch
- Bioshock Infinite
- Fallout 3 Teaser
- Fallout 76
- The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
- Prey 2 E3 trailer
- DOOM Launch
- Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain E3 trailer
- Resident Evil VII Launch
- Assassin’s Creed: Revelations E3 trailer
- Rainbow Six: Siege Premier
- Death Stranding – Kojima Productions
- Vanquish – Debut – SEGA
- Untitled The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild Sequel – Nintendo
- Frostpunk Launch – 11 Bit Studios
- Dead Island Announcement – Techland/Deep Silver
- Dead Island 2 E3 trailer – Deep Silver
- The Last of Us: Part II Reveal – Sony Interactive Entertainment
- Half-Life: Alyx Announcement – Valve
- Vampyr E3 trailer – Focus Home Interactive
- ARK: Survival Evolved Announcement – Studio Wildcard
- No Man’s Sky Gameplay – Hello Games
Starting off with one of the greatest live-action game trailers ever made
As it turns out, Microsoft has a knack for making kickass trailers
Or, maybe it’s just Halo 3?
Nah, definitely just Microsoft
The harmonization with Eminem’s “Till I Collapse” for Modern Warfare 2 was glorious
The return of Modern Warfare was both suspenseful and epic.
One of the most anticipated trailers in the history of RTS titles. And the crowd goes wild.
Blizzard sure knows how to sell Starcraft. Raw, dramatic, explosive, badass scale.
Still gives me chills
And a legend was born
Speaking of legends; Become one with the birth of Destiny. This one was a hype driver!
Now, that is how you synchronize music.
Can I have a whole movie?
Narration at its best with the legendary Martin Sheen
If you squint hard enough, you can see the budget
CD Projekt Red
Let’s be honest, it got you, didn’t it?
I don’t know what a Witcher 3 is, but I want one now
Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment
Better than the movies. Damn.
Just a beautifully rendered spectacle
Forever known as the Icarus trailer
Explosions. Fire. Just Cause. What more do you want?
After a very long wait… Brick on a Saxophone? Sold
Welcome to Los Santos
If you’re not excited for Yee-Haw Simulator 2018, here’s why you should be
Chaotic, strange, and mysterious, our interests were certainly piqued
Now, the “Save Elizabeth” trailer that uses the same song could substitute well. Both sublime
‘Member this like it was yesterday
Take me home, country roads
“If you want us to stop releasing it, stop buying it”
Oh, what could have been…
Incredible audio coupled with brutal visuals for a visceral hype drive that makes you want to thrash
Someone let this guy direct a movie already
Spooky use of suspense and a titillating taste of Resident Evil‘s new direction. P.T. vibes, anyone?
Yeah, but, WHAT HAPPENS?!
Oh so campy. Oh so cheesy. But damn, did we want some Siege.
Are you the next Vaas?
Live-actions look so fine
That’s, uhh…kinda creepy for Zelda. Sweet!
A personal favorite
This is a legendary trailer and a must-see
Similarly so with its sequel. Gotta reach the high bar previously set!
“I walk through the valley of the shadow of death”
Holy shit, Half-Life is back. Holy shit. Half-Life is back. Ho. Ly. Shit. Half-Life. is back.
Grunge, gothic punk, and vampires. Sorry, Vampyres. At the time we didn’t know what this was, but we wanted to
I’m feeling a feel. A feely feel. An exciting feel.
Firmly seated at the throne of hype, we dreamt for the stars.
Well, that’s it for our mini-catalogue of some of the best game trailers ever made. If you enjoyed our choices (or we missed any of yours), let us know in the comments. Stay classy, ABG.
Fancy being social? We’re on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram. Or if videos and/or podcasts are more your thing, why not subscribe to our YouTube and Twitch channels and track us down on Spotify. And if you wanna show your allegiance to ABG, you’ll be happy to know we have our own merch! All proceeds go to helping fund the site.
Let us know your thoughts in the comments below!
Just a Canadian dude who’s passionate about gaming, and the industry as a whole.